Health Tips: Anger Management



How To Effectively Manage Your Anger


Before we go deeper with anger management, we must first understand anger and define this particular emotion. Anger is considered a natural emotion; it’s a defensive response when we perceived a threat or an attack that could endanger our well-being. It’s also an indication that something gone terribly wrong in our lives. When we experience anger, there are several changes happening in our body. First, your heart rate increases that causes your blood pressure to escalate. Then you feel a sudden rush of adrenaline in your body, and this could trigger a sudden outburst or action perceived as retaliation to a certain threat.

Anger is a dangerous emotion, because it can get you into trouble. Your judgement becomes clouded when you are angry and if you cannot manage it well, it can even lead to broken relationships, bad public relations or unfavorable situations. In fact, researchers and psychologists claimed that one out of five adult individual has an anger management problem. Basically, there is a sequence for anger and it is usually triggered by an event, like someone says something that irritates you or you’ve been hit by a person or any inanimate object. 


Your first reaction will come to you in a form of a question like “what did I do to deserve something like this.” Then your emotions take over and all diplomatic solution to your current situation is gone – you resort into an impulsive action that may cause road rage, domestic abuse, divorce, workplace violence or even homicide.

You may think that suppressing your anger is the best way to control it - then you are wrong! Suppressing your anger doesn’t stop it, and it may even cause more damage to you on a psychological level. You must understand that suppressed anger stays with you, and in the long run may lead to both physical and mental health issues like stress, depression, migraine and high blood pressure. However, anger management experts have devised a simple but effective method of addressing anger.


Here are some Anger Management tips:

Take A Deep Breath - Anger often comes when you feel weak or unstable. In order to calm yourself; you must take several deep breaths and try to relax a bit. Open your mind and try to observe your situation – be always diplomatic in all your action.

Find a safe location – Instead of yelling at your colleagues, friends, family members, breaking objects or slamming doors; which doesn’t really solve any of your problems. It’s better to find a safe spot where you can safely release your anger and relieve your primary stress in the process. Go to a place where you can scream your head off or safely break some objects, but don’t forget to sweep up the debris after your rage!

Try to give yourself a break – When you get agitated and angry, it’s better to leave and take a hike. However, if possible leave the place in a professional manner and try not to offend the people in that place. Take a walk and think of happy moments, whistle happy tunes or just listen to any relaxing music.

Redirect your anger into productive activities – Try fighting anger by redirecting it into your positive passions. You can write a poem, create a short story about your experiences, paint some peaceful scenery, cook a fine dish or just sing your heart out via a karaoke.



Always remember, anger is a negative emotion and most of the time it can cause some serious problems. However, you have the power to control it and the means to rise above it! 



 

22 comments:

  1. thank you for this post, I will show this to some of my friends who have difficulty controlling their anger...blessed week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you also kulasa, I hope this post can help some of your friends. to be honest these methods are just some of the techniques they used to control anger. sometimes it is better to seek the help of a professional like an anger management coach.

      Delete
  2. Breath In Breath Out and try to turn your back from the person that caused you to be angry is effective for me. The more you face that person the more you will have a heated argument and might regret later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gee, breathing is one of the best way to calm yourself.. especially when you're in a heated fight with someone else.

      Delete
  3. I am the passive angry kind of person. My family often tells me to let it out sometimes because I'm like a sleeping volcano. You'll never know when I will explode. But I have learned the tricks of diverting my negative energy to something very fruitful. Like, if I am mad or upset, I would release my anger by running at the nearby park or meditating. It appeases and calms me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Ms. Ria C, it takes time and effort to practice anger management. But it's always healthy to let it out rather than to keep all the anger inside... anger is a negative feeling and can give some adverse effect on your body and mind.

      Delete
  4. Lucky am I ,because I can control my temper. But sure, once in a while my temper burst. I walk away and go look for green things. Nakakaalis talaga ng galit. Your tips will come in very handy rin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sir donald papaleng, controlling anger is essential to for a long and happy life po :)

      Delete
  5. controlling your anger is really hard, esp if you don't have any help from expertise...as for me when i get into that boiling level, i just closed my eyes and take a deep breath in and out, then tried it many times until that frustration feelings inside slowly fades away....however, there are others who just can't control them and needed more help than to those...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by NovaS... we really need the help of some experts sometimes. however, to help us cope with our anger in an unexpected situation, we can use some of the tips that i enumerated on this article.

      Delete
  6. I also have problems with anger management. Thanks for the tips I need to practice these simple tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aggie... i hope some of these tips can be handy in helping your control your anger :)

      Delete
  7. great tips. anger is something hard to control although on my part, it maybe depends on which level or what are the reasons that put me to that situation. i usually tend to be quiet and do something else that will divert myself from exploding...you may not hear anything from me but believe me, I will be crying for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks cheerful for your comment... crying is a good outlet to direct your anger, and it is better to cry than any repulsive action that you will regret someday.

      Delete
  8. I have quite a temper. This post will be very helpful for me, LOL! Lalo na at hypertensive ako. The first tip I have often done to control myself when something irks me. And then I just walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. when you grow older and you become wiser, meet a lot of people, know a lot of personalities, do researches on them somehow it helped lessen this dangerous emotion... Have learn to manage mine through this course ... nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ayay, this is very helpful...this applies to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are people who can't control their anger that's why they need some help, the problem most people don't recognize it. I can control my temper most of the time-if I can't control you'll know coz i'm cleaning our house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing these! I need some of these especially at time when people get into my nerves. Hihi

    ReplyDelete
  13. my hubby once told me he went to this anger management program here in US. he was a very angry man and cant control his emotions. but i think its part of the program that he needs to attend when he was in jail. =D thanks for the tips. but i think if ur angry.. u are angry.. it would take a lot of will power to do those things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a must read! I, myself gets angry often and I admit that I do bad things when I'm angry and it usually leads to broken things. Yea, just like recently. I was so mad that I threw my phone in the wall and when I picked it up, it still turns on but it has no signal anymore. I regret that.

    This one's really helpful. I shall try to express my anger in a poem. I guess that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anger can always lead to trouble if not handled properly. Thank you very much for this insightful post. Taking a deep is indeed a good way to release anger. I will always keep that in mind. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, feedback and suggestions will be very much appreciated... Thanks a lot!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More